Monday, August 17, 2020

August 17

Today is our 18th wedding anniversary. When I started my day, I found a lovely card, a Mother Ship coffee, flowers, Peanut Butter Cups, and three Cadbury bars in the perfect trio of flavors waiting for me at my place at the table. 

Since it was over 100 degrees out yet again and the skies were filled with smoke from nearby(ish) wildfires, we opted to enjoy our celebratory dinner indoors. So we lingered over our Cheesecake Factory entrees --cajun pasta for him, shepherd's pie for me-- in the dining room while the kiddos gnoshed on Little Caesar's pizza in the kitchen.

There are many ways that the past 18 years have broken my heart (see yesterday's entry for an example), but there are also many ways that they haven't. In Adam, I'm blessed with a life partner who is consistent, kind, loving, and who --quite honestly-- treats me far, far better than I deserve. And though I often fail in my quest, he makes me want to do better. To be better.

So for him and for us and for these 18 years that have simultaneously crawled and flown by at warp speed, I am grateful.

1 comment: