Sunday, August 2, 2020

August 2

Bobby, Reaya, Brendan, and Brianna headed out late-morning on their vacation, so I had most of the day to myself. Completely and entirely to myself. The hours that have passed since their departure have confirmed a few things I already kinda-sorta knew. 

1) I find the initial hour of solitude intoxicating. I drove to the Mother Ship and Target and Walmart and did a little bit of light shopping and loved it. Rolled-down-the-windows-and-shouted-along-to-the-radio loved it. It almost made up for not having a like-first day of school occurrence to look forward to on the calendar. 

2) Jimmie Cone is still delicious. Childhood institution visited: check. A twist cone with chocolate jimmies (or "sprinkles" for all you non-initiated folks) seemed like a great idea for lunch. So that's what I did at around 2. I even walked around the block while I licked my rapidly-melting cone. And I didn't even mind the sticky chocolateness that trickled between my fingers. (And just for you, BearBear, note the ya van in the background. You're welcome.)


3) I still like driving on country roads. I took a post-ice cream detour through my old-old neighborhood, just to see how it would feel. (Verdict: none yet.) 

4) I still like Roy Rogers. I decided that I'd try to get food that I can't get back in California while I'm here, and tonight's pick was Roy's. Huge roast beef sandwich plus giant, overfilled box of fries: check. 

5) My niece and her hamster are amazingly well-matched. 

And finally, 6) I am an extrovert. (Don't laugh.) I've always been a middle-of-the-roader when it comes to personality, but being alone for a day has confirmed that I like being around people. I like talking (chit-chat is okay but deeper stuff is my bread and butter). I like listening. I like engaging. I like having others around. So I spent some extra time praying. 

So there ya go: my day. As I turn off my laptop and find something else to focus on, I feel a sense of gratitude for increased self-awareness. And for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment