Sunday, September 27, 2020

September 27

Both of my parents are exceptionally talented when it comes to fine arts. Cross stitch, rug hooking, embroidery, smocking, knitting, woodworking, sewing... between the two of them, they can pretty much do it all. I joked for a while that it must skip a generation because I've historically had neither the patience nor the desire to create in that kind of way (though I admit that I do love to crochet). Anyway, if there is indeed a gene, Abby proved this weekend --once and for all-- that she has it.

She saw a dress she liked on YouTube --a personality she follows was either just wearing it or created it; I'm not clear on the precise details-- so she decided she was going to make her own version. I was, honestly, a little skeptical as we went to Joann's so she could buy fabric (twice, actually, since she discovered she'd need more than she'd initially thought) because she was making it WITHOUT A PATTERN (and yes, that's in all caps because I know for a fact that it's extremely difficult to see a dress and just MAKE it by SIGHT and WITHOUT one) and because she chose a checked fabric. (Checks are difficult to match, and since she constructed the bodice and the skirt separately, it could've gone very, very wrong very, very easily.) 

But when she came downstairs very late last night to show me the finished product, all of that skepticism evaporated. Even without a pattern, she managed to eyeball it perfectly: the fit, the sizing, the length, all of it. I was super proud of her, and it tickled me to see how proud of herself she was, because she earned every ounce of that feeling.

So tonight, I'm thankful for her talents and her drive and her determination. She may procrastinate sometimes (and that may drive me absolutely batty), but when she really wants something, she goes after it. And that kind of dedication, methinks, is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment