Friday, September 4, 2020

September 4

Since Kathy had to work today, I had a slow start to my morning, which involved cajoling myself out of bed at a late-ish hour and then dragging myself to the kitchen for coffee. A few sips of java later, I noticed that her daughter Maggie (who is 13) was sitting outside, so I joined her and we a had really pleasant chat. I don't always enjoy long conversations with teenage types, but she's truly a sweet, perceptive, thoughtful kiddo so the time was a blessing.

Once Maggie left with her dad and Sean (who is 11) had departed for a sleepover with his cousins, we headed out for our own late-afternoon/early-evening activity: pedicures. I hadn't had a pedi in months thanks to COVID, so it was so, so nice to emerge with pretty purple toes. (Although I think she's still a bit traumatized by her bright red pick which was totally hers and not mine at all.)

From there it was on to dinner, which involved chips, salsa, tacos, and most of a margarita. I hadn't really eaten (okay, I hadn't eaten anything at all) earlier in the day, so the drink kind of went to my head just the littlest bit (which is my excuse for the first image. I also just think it's funny because though I have no evidence to support the claim, I'm pretty sure we commonly make these exact faces at each other). But it was a beautiful evening that featured a very pleasant not-too-hot, not-too-cool temp and the chit-chat was good, so it too was a blessing.

Following a post-dinner stop at the Mother Ship (because duh), we went back to her house and watched a pair of movies (which were both quite good, really). We brushed each other's hair as we watched, and then I went to work on trying to loosen some of the knots in her shoulders. Why? Because I know her back always hurts and it's a really practical way to show care.  

And that's about it. I'm glad to be here listening and hearing and laughing and taking ridiculous pictures. And being. Because like I said yesterday, I firmly believe that just being is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment